If you qualify for the Disabled Person's Allowance or the Lone Pensioner Allowance you will get a discount on your rates bill. You have to apply for these allowances and should contact Land & Property Services for the application forms.
Disabled Persons Allowance
If there is a disabled person living in your home and the property was adapted for that person you could qualify for a 25% discount on your rates bill. Only certain types of adaptations qualify for this relief. These following adaptations will be considered:
- a room added, other than kitchen, bathroom or toilet, and used by the person with a disability for treatment or therapy;
- an extra kitchen added for the person with a disability;
- an extra toilet for the person with a disability;
- added floor space to accommodate a wheelchair.
There has to be a clear link between how the property has been adapted and the disability in question. If there is not, this rate discount will not be given.
Lone Pensioner allowance
If you are a pensioner aged over 70 who lives on your own and pays rates for your home you are entitled to a 20% discount on your annual rates bill. It doesn’t matter how much you have in savings or capital.
You normally have to live alone to qualify for this relief, but may still get it if you live with
- a resident carer who cares for you more than 35 hours per week,
- a person who is in long time care or in hospital,
- a person who is severely mentally impaired,
- a child under 18 or a person over 18 if someone is getting child benefit for them,
- a person for whom you provide care for more than 35 hours a week.